The Northwest R-I School District library media centers strive to provide comprehensive resources and services in support of the research, teaching, and learning needs of the Northwest community. To fulfill achieve this, the Library Media Specialist commits to:
- Understand the research, teaching, and learning needs of its users;
- Build collections and create tools to support research, teaching, and learning;
- Provide access to and promote the discovery and use of local and external information resources;
- Ensure the preservation and long-lasting availability of Library collections and resources;
- Create physical and virtual environments for study, teaching, and research;
- Collaborate with other members of the staff to enrich the research and learning communities;
- Develop, encourage, and sustain expertise, skill, commitment and an innovative spirit in its staff.
Goals for Graduates
Find Information: Inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge.
- Identify topics and questions to guide research.
- Identify and access information to meet critical and personal needs.
- Locate and record information from various formats (books, databases, websites, etc.)
- Evaluate sources for accuracy, validity, bias and appropriateness.
Use Information: Draw conclusions, make informed decisions, apply knowledge to new situations and create new knowledge.
- Modify information-seeking strategies to identify inaccurate information and information gaps.
- Make connections between real life and information gathered through research.
- Organize information into a useful format.
- Construct new knowledge based on a variety of sources.
Share Information: Practice ethical, legal, and safe use of information and technology.
- Use technology tools to communicate new knowledge n an ethical and safe manner.
- Evaluate research process and final product.
- Apply concepts of intellectual property and copyright guidelines.
- Correctly cite different types of sources.
Explore Reading: Read for personal growth.
- Appreciate books from various genres for leisure reading.
- See out reading materials in a variety of media such as online, e-books, and audio books.
- Find information to satisfy personal interests and questions.
- Larua DeMarco
- Shanae Johnson
- Melissa Ray